By Dov Peretz Elkins,Steven Schwarzman
* Introduction—Steven Schwarzman
* The Tallit and Its Messages—Rabbi Dov Peretz Elkins
The Tallit in Sermons and Commentaries
* A Message from Outer Space—Rabbi Jack Riemer
* Knots: A Sermon for Sh’lah—Rabbi Shamai Kanter
* “And the tzitzit will be for you”: A Bar Mitzvah D’var Torah—Alon Futterman
* curtailing Your Lustful Eyes—Rabbi Pinchas H Peli
* The Fringed Garment: The Mitzvah of Tzitzit—Rabbi Hershel Matt
* My Grandfather’s Tallis—Rabbi Steven Carr Reuben
* The Tallit on Kol Nidre—Rabbi Steve Schwartz
* From Our personal garments to God’s personal Throne: the genuine that means of the Tallit—Rabbi Peretz Rodman
* Lehitatef Batzitzit: recuperating the which means of Tallit—Rabbi Kenneth R Leitner
* The Tallit and its Symbolism—Rabbi Martin Samuel Cohen
* Tekhelet – A Royal Reminder—Rabbi Mordecai M Kaplan
* To put on Tzitzit—Rabbi Nina Beth Cardin
* A Union of Weavers—Rabbi Nina Beth Cardin
The Tallit in Stories
* one other Tallit—SY Agnon
* A Stranger’s Tallit—Allan Rabinowitz
* My Father’s Tallit and the Sefer Torah—Ruthy Bodner
* The infants’ Aliyah in Jerusalem—Judith Weisberg
* Zayde’s Tallit—Karen Misler
* Tallit: Wings of Shekhinah—Susan Mitrani Knapp
The Tallit in Poetry
* Gods switch, Prayers are the following to Stay—Yehuda Amichai
* Jerusalem in Snow—Anat Bental
* Tallis: A Poem—Abraham Kinstlinger
* My Tallit—Ruth Brin
The Tallit in History
* clothing of Prayer—Rabbi Reuven Hammer
* looking for misplaced Hilazon—Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
* looking for Holy Snail—Rabbi Ari Zivotovsky
The Tallit in Halakhah and Practice
* The Tallit: A Halakhic Summary—Rabbi Menachem Raab
* On donning Tallit and Tefillin—Dvora E Weisberg
* From Tzitzit to Tallit—Rabbi Moshe Tutnauer
* may well You be Wrapped in Warmth—Susan Klingman
From the Introduction:
“As a long way as we will be able to inform, this e-book is the 1st try to assemble a wide selection of assets on hand in English just about the tallit. within the pages that stick to, you'll find contributions by means of a Nobel Prize winner besides daily humans, rabbis and professors in addition to poets and net newshounds. via layout, we’ve integrated such diversified voices in hopes of manufacturing a composite photo; simply because the tallit is a truly democratic garment, making the audacious assertion that all people has inside of us the mark of royalty – whereas whilst, enveloping us in a coziness that marks our dating with God….
The tallit has been round for a couple of thousand years (as you are going to examine in a few of the historically-oriented contributions herein), yet there have additionally been a few interesting advancements in exactly the previous couple of many years because the recipe for tekhelet – the blue dye for tzitzit – has it appears been rediscovered and girls have began (or all started back, as you are going to read!) to put on tallitot in a few groups. we are hoping that this sourcebook may also help extra humans find out about the wonderful thing about the tallit and its wealthy capability as a ritual merchandise in including a religious and moral size to Jewish prayer and life.”
By Hagar Salamon
Recurring styles may be visible in Salamon's interviews, which thematically contact on non secular disputations, purity and impurity, the idea that of blood, slavery and conversion, supernatural powers, and the metaphors of clay vessels, water, and fire.
The Hyena People is helping resolve the advanced nature of spiritual coexistence in Ethiopia and likewise offers vital new instruments for studying and comparing inter-religious, interethnic, and particularly Jewish-Christian kinfolk in quite a few cultural and ancient contexts.
By Doris L. Bergen
By William Horbury
By Leonora Leet
• Relates the soul degrees of the Zohar to a number of the paths the soul may perhaps shuttle towards final awareness.
• Introduces a brand new meditative strategy referred to as "the Transformative Moment".
Throughout the heritage of the Jewish esoteric culture, humankind has been understood to play a pivotal function within the perfection of the cosmos, uniting the finite with the limitless within the perfection of divine character. operating from an unique synthesis of the most important kabbalistic traditions of cosmology derived from the Bible, the Zohar, and the college of Isaac Luria, Leonora Leet has erected a brand new framework for knowing the mechanism of the transformative religious paintings that permits the human soul to arrive more and more better dimensions of cognizance. This research extends the frontiers of Leet's earlier works at the Kabbalah to supply a brand new illumination of human chances.
Leet first considers the fake temptations of worldly energy and enjoyment that result in the autumn of the soul after which the technique of its redemption. She develops a robust meditative process known as "the Transformative Moment," whose workings are exemplified by way of Jacob and Joseph and that permit the person to growth via the entire better degrees of the soul, even very likely to achieve the fabulous powers of the mythical religious masters. She additional correlates the hierarchy of soul degrees with Ezekiel's Throne imaginative and prescient to teach a number of the paths the soul may perhaps shuttle towards self-realization: intercourse, love, energy, wisdom, holiness, and unification. the 1st 4 paths relate to the four-faced dwelling creatures (Chayot) of Ezekiel's Throne vision--the bull-ox, lion, eagle, and guy. the ultimate paths correlate to the prophet and the expected guy at the throne he acknowledges to be his divine larger self, the data that defines the key doctrine of the entire of the Jewish mystical culture culminating within the Kabbalah.
By Marc Hirshman
Though oral studying was once universal in lots of historical cultures, the Jewish technique has a unique theoretical foundation and various goals. Marc Hirshman explores the evolution and institutionalization of Jewish tradition in either Babylonian and Palestinian resources. At its center, he argues, the Jewish cultural thrust within the first centuries of the typical period was once a sustained attempt to maintain the language of its tradition in its so much pristine shape. Hirshman lines and descriptions the beliefs and practices of rabbinic studying as awarded within the rather few large discussions of the topic in overdue old rabbinic assets. The Stabilization of Rabbinic Culture is a pioneering try and signify the original method of studying built by way of the rabbinic management in overdue antiquity.
By Robert Chazan
By Rav Yehuda Ashlag
By Stefan Alkier,Kristina Dronsch
By John Connelly